Help Us to Help You

Last Modified June 13, 2017

We will do everything we can to help you with any neighbourhood issues you might have - but there are also some things that you need to do.     

Before you report ASB

Stop and consider whether the problem can be resolved by talking. Your neighbour may not even realise the impact their noise is having. If the problem continues then let us know.

Gather Evidence

You will need to keep us (and other relevant agencies) up-to-date with accurate information about ongoing incidents. This information or 'evidence' will help us better understand your situation and allow us to investigate.  We can then speak to you and any other involved parties and agree what actions may be required. 

Diary Log Sheets

The best way to record information is by using our Diary Log Sheets (DLS).  The information collected in a DLS enables the investigating officer to establish some basic facts about the nuisance, for example when and how often it has occurred, who was involved and how it affects you.

It is very important that an accurate record of any incident is kept as it could be used as evidence in court.  Blank Diary Log Sheets can be collected from any BCH office or printed off from here.

What Can BCH Do?

Once we have received a complaint and investigated it using the evidence provided, we can then look at offering one of the following methods to try and resolve the problem:

  • Install sound monitoring equipment which can be used as evidence to help bring noise nuisance to an end.
  • Hold mediation sessions where the parties in dispute meet on neutral ground to discuss the issues.
  • Issue Acceptable Behaviour Contracts (ABC); in partnership with the Police, the Housing Officer draws up a voluntary contract under which the tenant agrees to stop causing nuisance to neighbours and the local community.
  • Apply to Court for an injunction – these can be sought to make a tenant comply with their tenancy conditions. Breaching an injunction could result in imprisonment.
  • Apply to Court for a demoted tenancy for a period of 12 months. If there is any further anti-social behaviour, we can apply to the court for a possession order to evict them.
  • Issue warning letters and complete joint visits/office interviews with the Police.
  • Issue a notice to extend an introductory tenancy (we do not need to apply to a court to do this).
  • Issue a Notice Seeking Possession of the property – this is a legal notice that starts the legal process that may eventually lead to eviction.


If you want to speak to us about any of the information on this page, please speak to the ASB & Neighbourhoods Team.  See here for their contact information.