Hostel Accommodation

Last Modified June 13, 2017

The Accommodation

The accommodation includes individual rooms with shared kitchen and bathroom facilities. Basic items such as beds, bedding, chairs, table, fridge/fridge freezer are provided. Customers can bring their own belongings with the exception of soft furnishings and any electrical items must be in good working order. Communal washing and drying machines are also available for use for a small charge.

 How Long Will I Be There?

This will depend on your individual circumstances and whether the Council accept a duty to house you permanently. If the Council do not accept a duty towards you a notice period will be given in which to vacate the accommodation. You will then need to actively look for alternative accommodation and the staff will assist you with this.

 How Much Will it Cost?

There are two charges; an accommodation charge and a service charge. The accommodation charge covers the management of the building, staffing, repair and maintenance, cleaning, furniture and council tax. If you receive a means tested benefit, for example income based Job Seekers Allowance or Income Support, Housing Benefit will cover the full accommodation charge. However, if you are working, have a large amount of savings or are in receipt of additional benefits i.e. Disability Living Allowance or incapacity Benefit, you may have to pay some, if not all, of the accommodation charge.

You will be notified of the amount by Housing Benefit once they have received the necessary proof of your income. In the meantime, the Officers are able to calculate an approximate figure which you should pay weekly to ensure you do not accrue arrears.

The service charge is a charge made for electricity, water, heating and gas and is payable weekly. Everybody has to pay the service charge whether they are entitled to Housing Benefit or not.