Last Modified January 22, 2019
Can I Buy My Home?
If you are a tenant of Blackpool Council and are thinking of buying your home under the Right To Buy Scheme, you will need to meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You are a Secure Tenant
- You have spent a total of at least 3 years as a tenant of Blackpool Council, another Right to Buy landlord, a similar public body or in accommodation provided by the Armed Forces
- The property is your only or main home
Can I Afford It?
Buying your home is a major financial commitment and if you are buying the lease (this applies to flats not houses) you will therefore be responsible for paying Service Charges twice a year.
You need to ask yourself if you can afford the cost of home ownership - as this can include:
- Mortgage Payments
- Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection Insurance, Buildings and Contents Insurance
- Council Tax
- Utilities such as Water, Gas and Electricity
- Ongoing repairs and maintenance of your property
The Department for Housing, Communities and Local Government has published a useful information booklet for people who are considering buying their Council flat.