Last Modified May 24, 2019

To help customers live independently in their homes we provide help and guidance with disabled facilities, grants and adaptations.

There are two levels of adaptation:

Minor adaptation:

This is small work (usually under £1000 in value) and may include additional grab rail/s in and around the property, additional stair rail, half step to an entrance, small ramps. For more information click here.

Major adaptation:

These are classed as large scale works – such as level access showers, stair lifts or ramps.

We can help customers in all tenures:  tenants in Blackpool Coastal Housing, Private Rented or Housing Association properties and Owner Occupier residents.

To be considered for an ‘assessment of need’ by an Occupational Therapist, we would require a referral from a health professional, your GP or you can complete a self- referral by contacting the Adaptation Service on 01253 477900 or email

When an ‘assessment of need’ has been completed and a major adaptation has been recommended this will need to proceed to the next stage:

Is funding available for your adaptation?

Are you a Social Housing tenant? 

Funding is available under a Social Housing Major Work grant and is not means tested and permission will have to be given by BCH to undertake the recommended works.

Are you an Owner Occupier or a Private or Housing Association tenant?

Grants are available towards the cost of providing specific major adaptations for private sector customers under a Disabled Facilities Grant. The legislation sets out how the grant is awarded and your eligibility will be confirmed after a means-test has been undertaken by the Adaptations Service.

Further information is available at: or by contacting the BCH Adaptation Service on 01253 477900 or email