Last Modified September 27, 2019

To help customers live independently in their homes we provide help and guidance with disabled facilities, grants and adaptations.

There are two levels of adaptation:

Minor adaptation:

This is small work (usually under £1000 in value) and may include additional grab rail/s in and around the property, additional stair rail, half step to an entrance, small ramps. For more information click here.

Major adaptation:

These are classed as large scale works – such as level access showers, stair lifts or ramps.

We can help customers in all tenures: tenants in Blackpool Coastal Housing, Private Rented or Housing Association properties and Owner Occupier residents.

Disabled Facilities Grant

What is the Disabled Facilities Grant?

The Disabled Facilities Grant, or DFG, is a means tested government grant to assist disabled people in making their homes and essential facilities more accessible.

What can the grant be used for?

The grant is used to fund adaptations such as stair lifts, ramps and showers for people with disabilities to help them live independently within their own homes. **The DFG cannot be used to cover decorative, repair or maintenance costs.**

Works need be considered necessary, appropriate and reasonable in order to be undertaken.

Who is eligible?

In order to establish if you are eligible for the Disabled Facilities Grant, you will need to be assessed by an Occupational Therapist (OT) from the Adaptations Department. If you are assessed as requiring major adaptations to your home, a caseworker will contact you to complete an application for funding. The DFG is a means tested government grant, so you may be required to have a financial assessment if you are not in receipt of relevant (or passported) benefits. (Passported benefits are benefits which can passport (entitle) you to other benefits or schemes).

You can apply for the grant if you are:

  • A disabled person who is either an owner occupier, a private tenant or a tenant of a socially registered landlord
  • An owner occupier or private/housing association tenant who has a disabled person residing with them (either an adult or a child)
  • A landlord, on behalf of a disabled tenant


Request an assessment / make a referral

You can make a referral for an assessment by using the link below.

If you are making the referral on behalf of someone else, you will need information regarding their relevant medical conditions and consent to make the referral.


Frequently Asked Questions

How long will I wait for an OT assessment?

Our waiting times fluctuate based on demand, but our Occupational Therapists aim to complete an assessment no later than ten weeks after a referral has been received. You can contact the department directly for more details regarding assessment waiting times.

I already have an OT, why can’t they make a recommendation?

Community OT’s within the Blackpool area are currently only able to make recommendations for equipment and ‘minor’ works. If you have been assessed by a Community OT, you will still need to be referred to the Adaptations Department for a further assessment.

What areas do you cover?

We deliver the Disabled Facilities Grant on behalf of Blackpool Council. You will need to be a resident of Blackpool in order to apply for the grant through this department. Other Council’s will offer a similar service for their residents. You can check which Local Authority applies to you by following this link

Are there limits to the grant?

The grant limit in Blackpool is £30,000 (minus up to 15% agency fee). If the cost of the recommended adaptations exceeds this amount, we may not be able to proceed and alternative solutions may be presented to you.

What is a financial assessment?

The Disabled Facilities Grant is a means tested grant, which means that a financial assessment is required in order to access the funding. You’ll need to disclose information relating to all your and your partners income and capital.

Will I be expected to contribute to the cost of the works?

A contribution may be required based on your financial assessment which will look at any income and/or capital that you or your partner have. A caseworker will clarify this with you.

What is Income and Capital?

Listed below are some examples of both Income and Capital – this is not an exhaustive list and you will need to inform us of any of these along with any other type of income/capital not listed.


Further information is available at: or by contacting the BCH Adaptation Service on 01253 476679 or email