Rechargeable Repairs

Last Modified June 13, 2017

BCH aims to provide all our customers with a high quality and comprehensive repair service.  However, some of the repairs to your home are your responsibility.  We may fix these for you but you will then be recharged for the work. 

If you contact us about a repair or damage to your property, we will ask you how it happened and if you report it as a crime, we will ask for the crime reference number.  We will then advise you if it is your responsibility to fix and if so, what recharge might be applied.

Repairs may be recharged to you if the damage was caused due to an accident or if it has been abused.  Any damages caused to a communal area by you, a friend or a member of your family may also be rechargeable.     

Items which are your responsibility to repair include:

  • Anything you have fitted yourself such as a fire, cooker, fridge or washing machine    
  • Adjusting or replacing doors when you fit or remove carpets
  • Decorating your home
  • Maintaining gardens including garden sheds
  • TV aerials unless you live in a block which has a communal aerial system fitted
  • Telephone installations
  • Replacing toilet seats, bath or sink plugs and chains
  • Replacing door keys  

Making a Payment for a Recharge

Once it has been decided that you are eligible for a recharge, an invoice will be sent out to your home address.  This will advise you of the recharge amount and give you an account reference number.  You will need to quote this reference number when making a payment.  To make a payment for a recharge please see here for the different ways you can pay (the same as when paying your rent). 

Moving Out?

When you move out of your property, we ask that you make sure all your personal belongings are removed and any items you do not need are properly disposed of.  Any personal items left in a property will be removed and the cost of this will be recharged to you.    If you fail to pay these recharges in full, your debts will then be considered Former Tenant  Arrears.