What is Universal Credit - In The Know
*58 out of the 252 customers currently claiming Universal Credit are facing legal action for rent arrears*
Universal Credit is a new benefit system which will replace many of the current benefits and tax credits. It is for working age individuals, including single parents. You can claim it whether you have a job or not. Universal Credit is being introduced gradually and will be a big change for your finances – so make sure you’re prepared for the switchover…
1. Payments will be made directly to you on a monthly basis – if you don’t currently have a bank account you’ll need to open one; more information is below on opening a basic account.
2. It combines and replaces housing and welfare benefits (i.e. JSA & ESA) into one monthly payment.
3. When you first claim Universal Credit you will have to wait over a month before you receive your money. If you’re struggling you can ask Universal Credit for an advance payment but you will have to pay this back.
4. Payments to help with your rent will be paid directly to you and not to your landlord; remember that your tenancy is at risk if you do not pay your rent. Our Rents Team are here to help – you can contact them to find out how to pay & for help if you’re struggling with your finances.
5. Universal Credit does not include council tax reduction – you’ll need to apply separately online to do this at www.blackpool.gov.uk
6. Universal Credit is claimed and managed online. You’ll have to log in to your account regularly to check your messages and update your records. If you don’t have your own computer, why not come into Coastal House and use the computers located within the BCH Hub area or within Grange Park Office reception?
If you need any help with your Universal Credit claim or any other information on your rent please contact the Rents Team on 01253 477942 or email email@example.com.
For all other queries relating to Universal Credit, you can contact the service directly on 0345 600 0723 – Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.
Did you know?......You can set up a direct debit over the phone to pay your rent. Just call the Rents Team!
Posted on Monday 6th November 2017